Healthy Tortilla Soup
Originally this healthy tortilla soup came from a Farm to Table outfit. We liked it so much that over several years we have experimented with the recipe and tweaked it to our liking. This soup has relatively little “heat,” even though dried chili peppers are used.
Recipe for healthy tortilla soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin*
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 dried New Mexico or Pasilla peppers stemmed, seeded, and torn into smaller pieces
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ears of corn on the cob, roasted
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Into Dutch Oven or soup pot, add one tablespoon of the olive oil
- Sauté onion until transparent, about 5 to 8 minutes
- Add garlic when onions are almost done and cook one more minute
- Add the tomato paste, oregano, cumin, and chili peppers
- Add broth and bring to boil, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a gas grill or use the stove top to lightly roast the corn on the cob. Slice the corn kernels off the cob.
- Use an immersion blender (soup mixer) to puree the ingredients. Alternatively, use a regular blender to puree.
- Be very careful when using blender not to burn yourself. Read blender directions for mixing very hot liquids.
- Return soup to pot and add the diced tomatoes, beans, tortillas, and roasted corn kernels. Simmer until the soup is hot and ready to serve.
- Garnish the soup a few avocado slices and some cilantro
Wine Matches healthy tortilla soup:
- For the healthy tortilla soup, I like a Garnacha wine from Spain
- Spicy Pinot Noir
- Rosé wine
- Since the soup does not have much “heat,” the soup will pair nicely with a variety of wines