Healthy Portobello Mushroom Sandwich Recipe
The healthy Portobello mushroom sandwich is a great lunch time treat that is easy to make and appetizing. We call it the healthy Portobello mushroom sandwich because it is just plain good for you and quite delicious. You will be surprised at how good this sandwich tastes. The Spanish Piquillo Pepper and the Harissa provide a healthy and spicy treat. I can clearly say that you will make this sandwich again and again. Nutrition value of a Portobello Mushroom
Ingredients – healthy Portobello mushroom sandwich
- One portobello mushroom per sandwich
- Two slices of your favorite whole-wheat or multigrain bread. Toast on the grill. You can sub in sourdough as well.
- Roasted Piquillo pepper or a roasted red bell pepper – both on the shelves at fine grocery stores*
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Harissa mild or spicy, depending on your preference*
- Spring mix or arugula
Instructions – healthy Portobello mushroom sandwich
Start a gas grill or start a charcoal grill and set to medium heat. Spread olive oil on the top of the mushroom and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over the mushroom and pour a small amount of olive oil on the bottom of the mushroom; cook for 3 to 4 more minutes. In the meantime, toast your whole grain bread. Spread the Harissa on both sides. When the mushroom is ready, slice into half-inch strips. Place on the bread. Cover the top of the mushroom with the Piquillo or roasted red bell pepper. Add the mixed greens or arugula and close the sandwich. You now have yourself a delicious and fantastically healthy portobello mushroom sandwich to savor. You might want to serve some spicy grilled sweet potato fries or oven baked sweet potato fries. See how in the video below.
An addition resource is Portobello Mushrooms 101. This resource explains how to choose a Portobello at your local grocery or produce store.
* Piquillo peppers, roasted bell peppers, and Harissa are in the condiment section. Whole Foods carries Harissa but not Piquillo Peppers. Lunardi’s has Piquillo Peppers.